« Big arm | Main | Thinner »


So, Im in the hospital now. Fortunately, it has a wireless connection for the laptop that Ninsi brought me this afternoon. I've been here since about noon.

I got checked in and went to get the ultrasound done. It took the tech about 5 minutes to find a clot in my shoulder. The bloodflow to my arm is fairly restricted. The tech called the radiologist, who called my doctor, who told them to go ahead and admit me to the ER. That all went fairly quickly. Once I hit the ER, everything slowed crawl.

By 1 pm, we knew pretty much what was wrong, but we didnt know the treatment, or the time, or if I was going to be admitted overnight, or for how many days, nothing. The thing that seemed to be the most baffling was that I was I was in no pain. They kept asking why I was in if there was no pain. The difference in the size of my arms was pretty obvious though.

So, Ninsi showed up a little after 1 with an overnight bag and the laptop. She sat with me while I paced around the little ER room I was in for the next four hours. Every now and again a nurse would come in and check on me, but all they really did was succeed in agitating me more because they really couldn't tell me anything. I think I probably annoyed them as well with my questions. The talked about the doctor that was handling my case, and said the attending doctor and a surgeon would come talk to me. I wasn't sure about the surgeon because the option of getting cut hadnt really been mentioned yet. A physician's assistant came by twice to talk to me, He was largely useless.

He was very unsure of himself, so did not instill within me a great deal of confidence, which only made me more nervous. At one point the nurse said the doctor was consulting with another doctor which made me thing it was even more serious. And I was also waiting on the admitting doctor to figure out what they were going to do with me. They eventually decided I was going to be admitted, and they found me a room.

But I had YET TO SEE AN ACTUAL DOCTOR. Up to this point I had been seen by half a dozen nurses, one physicians assistant, and an impossible to understand X-Ray tech. He came in, said who he was and what he did, and indicated I was to follow. I had no idea what he had said until I realized I was going into the x-ray room. His accent was just too thick.

The first nurse to take my blood missed the vein. She had the needle in my arm, and was moving it around trying to get into the vein, which kept rolling. That is the first time in my life that anyone has ever missed a vein. Those of you who know me, know that my veins are fairly prominent on my arms. All told today, I was stuck 3 times in my left arm. One nurse was going to stick me in the right arm until I told her that that was the one with a problem and we'd best stay away from it.

Finally, at about 4:45, the actuall admitting doctor came by. Soft spoken, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. He at least made me feel a whole lot better about the whole thing. Was able to answer my questions and even drew me a couple diagrams to illustrate.

To sum up: I have a clot, I need drug therapy to get rid of it. They have a pill that I will take for about six months to basically thin my blood. This will prevent the clog from growing and my body will basically reabsorb it. However, the pill takes about a week to reach a good level of blood thinningness (tm) so I have to take a quick acting shot twice a day in the meattime. This will be a self-administered shot that I have to take in the stomach. Because that is where I have enough fat to accept it. I suppose my buttocks would work as well, but Im not about to stick a hypodermic in my own ass.

About 6 o'clock, they finally got me up to a room so they can observe me overnight. The nurse then went through a crapload of questions. She seemed to not believe that I am not on any medications at all. Not even 'herbal' medicines or vitamins. She also asked if I had all my teeth, whcih was slightly less off than the one that appeared to be asking if I was allergic to dentures. Though it was really just her timing and inflections.

Anyway, Im otherwise not restricted. No dietary restrictions, nothing. I have no family, or personal, history of anything like this. So more than likely, it was caused by trauma. Unfortunately I can not think of anything that I have done to my arm that would have caused it. Maybe playing with the dog a little to rough. They actually said that it was more common for baseball players to get a clot like this. In the shoulder anyway. Because of the repetitive throwing motion. That's not my case either. So the actual cause is a mystery. We'll closely monitor for the next several months after the treatment to see if anymore develop. If that is the case, it may become a lifelong pill-a-day thing. I dread that thought.

With luck, I'll be home tomorrow. Maybe Friday. Should still be good for poker Saturday.

Comments (4)


omg eko! i'm glad you didn't just ignore the big arm thing. sorry you're going to have to go through all the meds and shots and all to get through it, but i'm very glad they caught it in time. how scary. stop playing so roughly with the dogs!

and i'm sure someone would be more than happy to teach ninsi how to give the injection. it's WAY less painful in the arse. and it's easier to have someone else do it than to work up the nerve to do it yourself. trust me. i'm a pro.

if you guys need anything, lemme know. baby aspirin or whatever. ;) xoxo sher

i tried to tell him i could give him the shot but he doesn't think i can handle it. good idea though - 2 shots a day for 5 - 7 days, you probably wanna spread it around a bit. If they'll let him get shots in the bum we could try to prevent his stomach from being overly sore.


if you can give them in the arse & the stomach, sounds like giving them in the thigh might also be an option. that way you could do the sides of your thigh and the tops of your thigh - that's what i did, and other than the bum, it's the least painful place i could find. i don't think you understand the pain of injections in the ab area.

and ninsi, you could definitely do them! nurses will teach you. there's not much to it really.

eko, let her help you!!


Eric, dont let anyone administer a Lovenox shot , unless they have done it before ,or have the Dr/Nurse demonstrate it for them, with a repeat demonstration! Lovenox is a tricky shot and don't do Bum / Inside of thigh these area are tricky! be careful, and god bless you , always remember 1 thing a patient alway's have a better sense of his/her body, and a better instinct than those around him.

PS:KEEP ME POSTED! also, like i metioned before try to avoid activities around the house/work which which can inflict cut's etc, as over the next few day's your blood will practically be thin like water, and it will be hard to stop bleeding, also keep in mind what i told u about the bruising it's normal:)

Post a comment


This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on May 16, 2007 9:56 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Big arm.

The next post in this blog is Thinner.

Many more can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.

Powered by
Movable Type 3.34